Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Street Cat

This is Frankie. I first saw him 3 years ago and think he was a year or two old at the time. He use to come to my back feeder and munch. He had a flea collar on at the time. Since then I've found out his owners moved and left him behind. Last winter I TNR'd him and healed his wounds. He had a split on his head from ear to ear and several bite and scratch bites around his neck. Because he was a stray, he was pettable but with caution - he'd turn and he had the biggest fangs I'd ever seen. Frankie is now back in my bathroom with severe wounds. I think he's a target. I'm going to redomesticate him and put him up for adoption. He's too much of a target on the street. There's a new male out front, yet to be trapped and neutered. One day, I heard the fighting yowls, looked out the window and there was Frankie and Todd (the intact male). Todd was howling and yowling and hunching his back. Frankie just stood there looking at him. Todd howled on. Frankie sat down. Todd howled. Frankie layed down. Todd looked puzzled, howled a couple more times, then layed down next to him. However, I guess that doesn't always work because Frankie has a huge wound in his chest and scratches on his shoulder. I found out why he has those big looking fangs - he has a periodontal disease that appears to push his teeth out. He's a very affectionate cat but as I say, he can turn in an instant. This morning, when I went into the bathroom, Purrl (a kitten who I found in the bushes in November when I went on my 5am feed run and who started purring the moment I picked her up, hense the name) slipped in - she's a fast little bugger - and Frankie immediately pounced. Bella (my Belgian Shepard Lab mix - I think) was right there and I was holding a large jar. I put down the jar, went into the bathroom and picked up the hiding behind the toilet Purrl, Frankie jumped straight up about 4' and swipped at Purrl. Yowza, that was scary! She missed, fortunately. He's going to take a lot of work. More later on how I'll accomplish his re-domestication, now, it's time to take Bella to the Forest Preserve then pu some trapped cats to take them for s/n clinic.

No comments: