Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Here's Purrl!

Purrl came to us in early November last year. When I went out to do the 5am feed, I heard crying somewhere on the street in front of the house. At first, I thought it was an injured cat (crap) but when I followed the sound, there in the bushes was a kitten I thought to be about 6-7 weeks. From the moment I picked her up, all her little black self but for that small white tuft of white on her chest, she started purring, hense, Purrl. I figured she'd be at Animal Care League in Oak Park within a few days and find a nice home. However, it's March and she's home. It happened by circumstance (like my TNR activities - it just snowballs). First, she had the worst gas of any little critter I've known. She had dirreah. She had small sores around her neck and head with a hot spot developing on her face. That says horrible digestive problems and possibly allergies and a depeleted immune system. I started her on my Flower Essence blend for street cats, to help them release the trauma of the streets, rejection, fear, to help them accept love (tho she didn't need that one), change, assimilation into group issues and a few other things. It's a good generalized blend for rescues. I got her tested for the usual feline diseases The vet confirmed my suspicions on allergies. I got to work. I gave her Florify, a really good probiotic for her digestive system, her dirreah stopped immediately and a few days later so did her gas. I gave her ProVex, grapeseed extract, to help her inflammation, strengthen her connective tissue, and strengthen the mast cell walls, to prevent oversensitivity to allergens, and I also changed her diet, completely. I emailed with Lais, a cat partner, about a good cat food, she suggested Evo. I went to a specialty shop and chose Orijen, a wonderful food that helps to build the immune system. A couple of weeks later, I heard about a new place in Oak Park that makes and markets an excellent choice of healthy food and their own marvelous completely balanced raw blends . What wonderful fortune!!!! Purrl needed a good diet, rich in nutrients and enzymes. (A bit on animal food * - see below *) It's Sirius Cooks on Harrison & Lombard in Oak Park. http//siriuscooks.com Not only did I find an excellent selection for Purrl, I found Julie & Harriet, they are great! They're nice, they're fun (and pithy) and they really helped with food for Purrl. If you're in the area, it's well worth the trip. They have food, treats and supplies. They have the coolest cardboard furniture for cats. Because of Sirius Cooks, I have the food I need to help Purrl to become the healthy little critter that is now nuzzled into my lap, purring away. The hot spot that took about 1/3 her face, the seeping pinhole sores on her neck and head, the gas, dirreah all gone. Her hair, once thin, is filing out. By building her health, not just treating her symptoms, she's growing into a healthy little being who won't need a whole lot of medical care. So that's Purrl, she's the house CatVando cat. She's an expensive one. Her food is about $42 a month. And of course Tootie, the other CatVando house cat, from the backyard colony. She's in because of an eye problem that needs daily drops - but nore about him later - he's a story! Totally different story. He also now costs $42 a month for food (his eye is actually getting better after 3 years of drops and ointments). And so is Frankie and Jake - by good fortune. But that's another story for another time. Aloha! *in my opinion most of it is crap. Cheap ingredients, synthesized nutrition. Food is suppose to give our bodies what it needs to function. Most food, animal or human, for a number of reasons like corporate agriculture, pesticides, processing, picked too soon - even in it's natural state, food isn't what it use to be. I believe the FDA did a study and found 1 c of spinach in 1949 is the equivilant of 7 cups of spinach today. And that my folks, is why we need vitamins. As to most cat food on the market, the companies that manufacture them have to use the cheapest ingredients to satisfy the bottom line of profit. Without it, stocks would plummet. I've heard 50% the cost of most products we buy is spent on advertising to get us to use those products. Add stockholders, employees, warehousing, store profit and there isn't much left for ingredients . Most dog food is filler. Orijen isn't.

1 comment:

CatVando said...

Jake, Purrl, Tootie & Bella are a treat!